Shelton McMurphey Johnson House
The Shelton McMurphey Johnson House was constructed in 1888. Visitors will get a sense as to what life was like in the house at the turn of the century.
Backstory and Context
The house was originally built for Dr. T.W. Shelton and his family. They lived there for many years. Shelton died in 1893 and his wife deeded the property to their daughter, Alberta, and her son-in-law Robert McMurphey. Robert died suddenly in 1921 and Alberta passed away in 1949. The house was sold to Eva and Curtis Johnson in 1951. Eva lived in there until she died in 1986. The building saw numerous additions and modifications over the years. The city now manages the property along with the help of volunteers.
"Architectural Landmark." Shelton McMurphey Johnson House. Accessed April 17, 2015. https://www.smjhouse.org/architectural-landmark.
Nancy Sussman & Robert Warwick. "Shelton McMurphey Johnson House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. June 1, 1994. http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/nrhp/text/84003028.PDF