Doggie Diner Sign
Backstory and Context
Restaurant founder Al Ross began his fast food chain career in 1948, selling hot-dogs out of a stand near Castlement High School. By the 1960s, Ross had developed the stand into a full-fledge dine-in restaurant with a parking lot.
According to noehill.com, actress "Phyllis Diller was known to regularly visit the Doggie Diner in her limousine and send her chauffeur in to buy a Chili Cheese Burger. Diller liked the burger so much she sent the company a letter of support that they used in their advertising."
During the Korean War, the Doggie Dinner company sent their food wrappers overseas to the soldiers so that they could eat their rations in them. This was an effort to remind the men abroad of "drive-ins, hamburgers, necking in the back seat, making the world safe for democracy and all the other things they were fighting for."
Eventually, Ross had opened 26 locations, with only one located outside the Bay Area in Stockton. Unfortunately, because the restaurant was a unionized establishment, Ross had trouble competing with other restaurants like McDonalds and Burger King in national expansion. By the 1980s, multiple Doggie Dinner locations were closed, and the last one closed in 1986.