The Larimore House
Backstory and Context
Wilson Larimore, the builder and overseer of the residence in its infancy, moved from Kentucky to this very spot by the Mississippi River in the year 1850 to make a living for himself on the fertile land. He purchased approximately 2,000 acres, which he soon farmed using the newest mechanical farming equipment. Soon, the Larimore Plantation became renowned for its productivity and won many awards at the then popular agricultural fairs in and around St. Louis.
The house he build on the land is in the Italianate style, and was finished in 1858. The house is grand, with 14 fireplaces and 12-foot ceilings. The woodwork is made of mahogany and painted white. The servants quarters, still intact, are over the kitchen as most were, and are now used as a honeymoon suite.
The Larimores owned the plantation in St. Louis for over 50 years before they decided to sell it and move on to something smaller. At the turn of the twentieth century, the Penningroth family purchased the plantation. They sold off a majority of the land and used the house as a summer home for nearly a century. In 1989, The Larimore House was purchased by Rick and Carole Bovey who carefully restored the historic property to its exquisite character. From 1993 until 2000, five of the Bovey children celebrated their weddings and receptions at the Larimore House location, as well as over hundreds of other brides and grooms.
In 1989, Saint Louis County put the house on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1996, the site was named a Landmark and Preservation Area by Saint Louis County. This designation enables a business in a residential location for the preservation of the property and enables it to be seen and enjoyed by the public.