Netherland Inn and Museum
Backstory and Context
In 1818, Netherland purchased the small Inn at an auction and contracted with the stage coach line to provide accommodations for travelers. The Inn is thought to have been constructed sometime between the years 1810 and 1818, likely by King or Netherland and their workers. During its prime years, the Inn served as a prominent resting location for locals and travelers to socialize, share news stories, and relax while visiting the boatyard on their journeys.
Much traffic and many visitors were attracted to the Inn while they traveled along the Holston River and/or along the Great Stage Road. Farmers and locals and merchants aiming to trade goods and/or turn a profit utilized the area and the building to meet up and discuss deals when they (or their workers) were not constructing boats in the boatyard. According to the Netherland Inn's official website, the facility, in its prime, often saw as many as fourteen scheduled visitors each week, including several United States' presidents.
Until roughly 1904, the Inn was still owned by the Netherland family, and in 1906, it began to function as a boarding house. It remained as a boarding house until roughly 1965, and in 1967, the Inn was purchased by the Netherland Inn Association which promptly restored it, leading to its eventual inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
Today, the Inn and museum include both modern and historic furniture and decorations associated with American frontier settlements. Some of the original furniture still remains despite much of it being destroyed during the Civil War. A log cabin moved from Daniel Boone's Wilderness Trail, which Boone supposedly lived in from 1773 to 1775, is now located behind the Inn and is referred to as the Netherland Inn Log Cabin Children's Museum and Schoolhouse.
The Inn's structure has remained consistent as a three-story building sat on the side of a hill sloping down into the Holston River. The massive first floor is constructed of limestone from a local quarry and was initially used for storage. The second and third floors are constructed of timber and brick, covered with white poplar siding. The building visibly features a stone and brick chimney on either side.
"History." The Netherland Inn. June 6, 2019. http://thenetherlandinn.com.
"Netherland Inn." Historic Sullivan. June 6, 2019. http://www.historicsullivan.com/tourism_netherlandinn.htm.