The Johnson County Courthouse was built in 1901 and houses Iowa City's county government offices including the City Attorney and Clerk of Court's offices. It was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by architect A.W. Rush. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in December, 1974.
Construction lasted from 1899-1901. It was the fourth county courthouse built and was referred to as the Temple of Justice, given the semi-religious symbolism of its interior and exterior architecture. The tower is modeled after the tower at Trinity Church in Boston. The courthouse is one of the best examples of Richardsonian Romanesque buildings in Iowa.