Deposit Historical Museum
The Deposit Historical Museum is located in the historic Knapp Brothers Bank. Opened in 1874, this was the first bank in the area. The building later served as a school before being converted into a private home. After that, it was a meeting place for community organizations and local scout troops. The local historical society acquired the facility in 1977 and converted it into a museum which opened June 20, 1981.
Backstory and Context
Situated in the valley of the West Branch of Delaware River, Deposit Historical Society with the name “Deposit” has a logical meaning of “in early times vast quantities of lumber were drawn on sleighs in winter from as far away as the Susquehanna and deposited on the river banks awaiting the spring high waters when the logs were fashioned into rafts, many as long as 200 feet in length, and floated to the Philadelphia market. This was in many cases the only cash income for these early settlers” (1)
The Delaware River Valley was the place where several different tribes lived there before the invading of the white settlers. From the knowledge of the Indians about “coke-ose” which meant “Place of Owls”, the Deposit Community Historical Society had adopted the owl as the logo.After the coming of white settlers, the charter of the Village of Deposit was amended in 1851 and in 1871.
The museum houses many interesting exhibits and photographs related to the founding and early history of the village. The
museum also hosts several special events and programs for children.