Clio Logo

Located in the historic former Palestine High School, the Museum For East Texas Culture offers permanent exhibits that tell the early history of Anderson County. The museum also offers special exhibits dedicated of the history of the local fire department and railroads, as well as exhibits dedicated to African American history. The museum opened in 1982 shortly after local citizens saved the historic school from destruction and raised funds for its renovation and conversion to a museum. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.


  • The Museum For East Texas Culture is housed in the former Palestine High School, which was built in 1916.
Construction of the school was completed in 1916. It's Tudor Revival architecture and size was reflective of the city's commitment to public education in the early 20th century. It remains one of the larger buildings in Palestine and an important reminder to the past. In 1939 it was converted into a junior high school, and then in 1966 it became an elementary school. It closed in 1976 and soon became an eyesore due to vandalism and neglect. However, a group was formed in the early 1980s to save the building. The museum opened in 1982. 
 
"History." Museum For East Texas Culture. Accessed March 17, 2015. http://museumpalestine.org/history.

Franklin, Drew. "Palestine High School." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. September 24, 1986. https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/NR/pdfs/86002295/86002295.pdf.
0