Salisbury House & Gardens
Backstory and Context
The Weeks donated the home to Drake University in 1934 after having difficulties with maintaining it themselves. The Iowa State Education Association eventually purchased the house, grounds, and contents for almost $200,000, however this ownership came to an end in the early 1900s. The Salisbury House Foundation was then formed in 1993 to preserve, interpret, and share the property for the cultural and educational benefit of the public. The Foundation began operating it as a historic museum in 1998.
Today, Salisbury House offers tours as well as private events such as weddings, corporate events, dinners and receptions. There are many public programs hosted throughout the year. The home is filled with original art and antique furnishings from all over the world.