West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind
Founded in 1870, the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and the Blind has provided over 4,800 students with quality education. The schools enrolls students from Pre-K thru 12th grade. Graduates develop the necessary skills to become independent members of society.
Backstory and Context
Today, the school serves about 4,800 students, many of whom are boarded at on-campus dormitories. The school campus is comprised of 16 buildings, but only about half are presently being used for educational purposes due to structure deterioration. Many of the buildings have an array of historical significances; for instance, the School of the Blind's cafeteria was used as a hospital during the Civil War. The school has been experiencing funding challenges over the past few years and administration is working toward solutions2.