The city of Logan, West Virginia, has its roots to the middle of the Civil War in 1863. In the early twentieth century, the city rose in population due to the growing coal industry in the area. Logan was one of the centers of the Southern West Virginia Mine Wars. The notorious Sheriff during the Mine Wars era, Don Chafin, also called the city of Logan his home.
Two high schools used to exist in the city of Logan. Aracoma
and Logan were the two high schools in the city. Aracoma Senior High School was
used during the era of segregation for African-American students. White
students would attend the old Logan High School. The old Logan High School was
active starting in 1911 and ended in 1956 with the newly built school on
Midelburg Island. Students from surrounding areas such as Holden, Omar, and
Logan attended the school.
The newest school structure was built in 1957, which resulted with the
first class graduating in 1958. In the beginning, the school would only house grades
10 through 12. In 1962, a combining of schools would come to the schools in the city of
Logan. Aracoma High School and Logan High School would then
unite to become one student body.
The school remains today on Midelburg Island along
with Logan Middle School, Logan Elementary School, and the athletic facilities. Today the
school houses grades 9 through 12. The school’s mascot is the Wildcat which could
potentially be a drawback to the area’s Civil War history. School colors are
blue and gold.The new monuments in front of the school that discuss the history of the school are made from blocks that came from the old Aracoma High School when the structure was demolished.