Fort Buenaventura was the first permanent Anglo settlement in the Great Basin. This site is considered by many to be the place that closed the exploration, trapping, and trading era int he West. This is a reconstruction of the original site on 32-acres of land. Fort Buenaventura includes stockade and cabin replicas on the original site, visitor center, group camping and day-use area, picnic tables, canoe rentals and modern rest rooms. Mountain men activities are held as special times throughout the spring and summer.
Located on the Weber River, this fort and National Park symbolizes that era of change in western history when the first trappers and permanent settlers were meeting with the Native American tribes. In this replica, you will see forts, picnic areas, the canoeing pond, and three cabins.
Located on an 84-acre river tract of land near the Weber River, the fort symbolizes a period of western history that was the transition from nomadic ways of the Indian tribes and trappers to the first permanent settlers in the Great Basin. Facilities at the fort include picnic areas, a canoeing pond, the replica fort including three cabins and restrooms.
Fort Buenaventura has been constructed on the original site of the fort that was built in 1845 by Miles Goodyear and his wife. It has been reconstructed according to archaeological and historical research. The recreated fort’s dimensions, height of pickets, method of construction, and number and styles of log cabins are all based on documented facts. There are no nails in the stockade; instead historic wooden pegs and mortis and tenion joints hold the wall together.