Construction official began in 1868 when the settlers and members of the church brought limestone and sandstone from the quarries. The town worked together, with men building and the women providing foods and raised funds for an organ.
The Tabernacle was completed and dedicated in October 1890 only to be gutted by fire February 9, 1896. The townspeople decided to rebuild it as quickly as possible, and a year later the building was finished with many improvements over the original structure.This building was dedicated March 21, 1897 and it the building that remains today.
The Church closed for restoration and the inside and outside of the building were fully updated in 1986 and 1987. The building opened and was rededicated in April 1987.
The Tabernacle was reopened and rededicated in April 1987. The building is still used for LDS conferences, concerts and other meetings. In 1971, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, one of the first buildings in Utah to be so honored.
Through the years, the building has housed many different community events as well as religious services. It is a landmark building, one of the most photographed buildings in Utah, and annually attracts many tourists.