After seven years of debate about the location for the complex, the memorial center and art museum building was constructed in 1957 and dedicated “To Honor the Dead by Serving the Living.” The performing arts center was never built due to lack of funds. Over 70,000 individuals raised $2 million for the project. The center’s offices are located in the structure that rests on several piers, allowing for the public to visit the memorial court and enjoy the views the lake.
The court contains a reflecting pool with an eternal flame in it. Above the pool are four mosaic panels, designed by artists Edmund Lewandowski, depicting the insignias of the Army, Marines, Air Force, and Navy. In 1959, Lewandowski also constructed a large mosaic containing 1.4 million glass pieces that was installed on the western facade of the center. The mosaic shows Roman numerals that represent the beginning and end dates of World War II and the Korean War. In 1975, the Art Museum expanded its gallery spaces with an addition designed by David Kahler, which extended the museum towards the lake. The center is currently restoring the memorial courtyard.