Richmond National Battlefield Park
Located in Richmond, Virginia, the Richmond National Battlefield Park serves as a gateway to over thirty American Civil War sites near the city of Richmond, the city that served as the Confederate States of America Capital during the war. According to the National Park Service, Richmond National Battlefield Park covers more than 2,200 acres of Civil War resources in 13 units. Established in 1936, the park spreads over more than five Virginia counties.
Backstory and Context
Richmond played a prominent role in the Civil War and is known to be the heart of the historical conflict. Today, the park maintains several battlefields from the Peninsula Campaign as well as the 1862 Seven Days Campaign with sites such as Beaver Dam Creek, Gaines’ Mill, Glendale--Frayser’s Farm and Malvern Hill, a portion of the 1864 Overland Campaign with sites such as Totopotomoy Creek and Cold Harbor, the May 15, 1862 naval action at Drewry’s Bluff, and actions along the Richmond-Petersburg front, with sites such as Fort Harrison, New Market Heights, Deep Bottom and Parker’s Battery. These and more have their own entries that can be found on Clio. Those battles and skirmishes that do not have entries will be created soon.In addition to the fields Richmond National Battlefield Park also includes two buildings in Richmond. Tredegar Iron Works now functions as a visitors center for the park. Tregegar was the primary iron and artillery factory for the Confederate Army during the Civil War. The Iron Works continued to function through both the first and second World War. Now the building is home to an interactive museum that preserves area history.
The Chimborazo Hospital treated over 75,000 Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. Currently the building is used a museum for the Richmond National Battlefield Park; it includes exhibits about both the location and the quality of medical care that was found in American hospitals throughout the Civil War. More on Chimborazo can be found in its Clio entry.