Wyckoff Farmhouse Museum
The Wyckoff House is a Dutch-American colonial style house located in Milton Fidler Park in Brooklyn, New York. One of the earliest houses constructed on Long Island, it was built around 1652 by Pieter Claesen, who later changed his last name to Wyckoff. The style of the house exemplifies the architecture of the area and of the time it was built. It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1967. A new museum accompanies the house called The Wyckoff House Museum. Both serve to enlighten the public about what life was like in colonial Brooklyn.
Backstory and Context
Pieter became a successful farmer and he and Grietje raised 11 children on the farm. Eight successive generations expanded and added modern amenities to the house, which has 6 rooms, two fireplaces, and a cellar. The house and land were sold to developers in 1901 but were later bought back in 1961by the Wyckoff House & Association, which family descendants founded in 1937. It is estimated that all of the approximately 50,000 descendants with the Wyckoff name can trace their lineage back to Pieter's family.
Unfortunately, the house fell into disrepair and suffered a fire before the association repurchased it. Restoration was completed and the house opened to the public in 1982. It was named a New York City landmark in 1965 and was later designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1967.