Historic Fort Payne Opera House
Located in Fort Payne, DeKalb County, AL, the Fort Payne Opera House was built during the industrial boom in 1889. This opera house is known as the great community network to connect the community through art and entertainment. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the National Register of 19th Century Theaters in America. Today, the Fort Payne Opera House is the only one which is still in used in the State of Alabama for hosting live theatrical events. After the restoration, the Fort Payne Opera House become a cultural center of DeKalb County as well as new society members and visitors.
Backstory and Context
In the early 1900s, the Fort Payne Opera House was used for concerts and play as well as served as meeting place. After that, in the 1920s, this Opera House became a movie theater and became a warehouse afterward. The architectural design of the Fort Payne Opera House was three-story brick building located in Gault Avenue. In 1969, the Fort Payne Opera downgraded, it fell on bad time and to be completely refurbished.
Currently, the historic Fort Payne Opera House is 124 years old and has a completely restoration. This is still in used today as the cultural center of the community. Beside, the local high schools uses it to host plays, concerts and many activities and events.