Miami Orange Bowl
Miami Orange Bowl was an American Football stadium located in the Miami neighborhood of Little Havana. It broke ground in 1936 and opened in late-1937. The Orange Bowl was home to many tenants during its 71-year run, but its most notable tenant was the Miami Hurricanes. The stadium also played host to the Orange Bowl Game from 1938 to 1995 and one more time in 1999. It was closed and demolished in 2008, and the MLB's Miami Marlins now play at that location in a brand new ballpark.
Backstory and Context
When the Orange Bowl opened in 1937, it was named Burdine Stadium. It was renamed as the Miami Orange Bowl in 1959 to go along with the Orange Bowl college football game it had hosted since 1938. The NFL's Miami Dolphins were the primary tenant of the Orange Bowl when they played their first game there in 1966. (1) This was a big step in the venue's development, but the Miami Orange Bowl wasn't done hosting important games yet.
In 1968, the Orange Bowl hosted its first Super Bowl. The following year, it hosted again. It would then go on to house three more Super Bowls and eleven National Championship games, as well. (1) The University of Miami, its primary tenant since 1987, won a total of three National Championships at the Orange Bowl. (2) The Miami Orange Bowl was a revered stomping ground of college football. The attendance at home games backed up that claim. Out of the top ten highest attended games, six of them pulled in over 80,000 spectators. Their seventh highest had a total attendance of 79,932. (3)
The Miami Hurricanes were a forced to be reckoned with in the mid-eighties and nineties, when they rattled off 58 consecutive wins at the Orange Bowl. (4) However, the profile of the Orange Bowl started to die down when it needed renovations and it ended its hosting of the Orange Bowl Game in 1999. Despite holding Olympic soccer matches in 1996 and a speech from President Kennedy after the failed Bay of Pigs invasion, the venue was too run down to continue. (2) The Miami Orange Bowl was closed and demolished in 2008, against the wishes of the university.