Thomas Freeman Home, Carter Plantation
Carter Plantation was established in 1804 in the British colony of West Florida. The property was sold to Thomas Freeman in 1817, making him the first African American to own property in Livingston Parish. Freeman, like each of the owners of the property during the antebellum period, was a slave owner. The plantation home was completed in 1820 and became the home of W. L. Breed after Freeman passed away in 1838. George Richardson acquired the property prior to the Civil War and passed it on to his descendants. The property has been known as the Carter Plantation for over a century (the Carter family held the property for the longest period of time). The home Freeman built has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979. Although the property is now home to a golf resort, Freeman's home and a cemetery, which likely includes many of the enslaved people who lived and worked at the plantation, remain.
Backstory and Context
Sharp, Tom. "Carter Plantation." National Parks Service - National Register of Historic Places. February 23, 1979. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/5fe12d4a-ec94-4b14-a069-5d7f1874ac27.