Old Roswell Mill
Backstory and Context
The Roswell Mill is actually made up of a collection of Mills in Fulton county, GA. They surround Vickery Creek in the city of Roswell GA. These mills were used in the mid 1800s to produce cotton, wool, flour, and textiles. At the height of production Roswell Mill was known as the largest cotton mill in north Georgia. The mill wen through a variety of phases and owners from its opening in 1836 to its shutdown in 1975.
The first mill of what would become the collective Roswell Mill was founded by Roswell King. He was a wealthy business owner form Connecticut who had settled in the town of Darien, GA. He was a construction manage, a military man, a slave owner, and a representative in the Georgia State Legislature. King was a supervisor for Major Pierce Butler's two plantations and revered for his scrupulous business strategies. For this reason he was appointed manger and overseer of construction of the mill and its factory. He subsequently became the founder of the city of Roswell.
The Roswell Mill was a producer of goods for the Confederacy during the Civil War. It created "Roswell Gray" fabric to be sewn into Confederate military uniforms. General Gerrard, a Union commander under General Sherman, seized the mill on July 5th1864, because of its importance to the South's military supply chain. Before Gerrard could gain access to the mills bridge, which spanned Vickory Creek, Confederate forces burned the bridge down. In response, General Sherman arrested all owners and employees under the grounds of treason and sent them north.