Architect Oscar Bohlen designed this stately historic building, the first skyscraper in Indianapolis to utilize an all-steel frame. Bohlen's client, the Indiana Gas Company, used this as their headquarters building when construction was complete in 1896. The gas company was not the only tennant, as The New York Central Railroad and other companies also rented space in the building at the time of its completion.
The large entrance arches are intricately decorated with foliate and acanthus carvings. The center grouping of three massive arches in the center of the upper stories, flanked by bookends of triple windows, gives the building its monumental character--a building fit to be called The Majestic.