Old Jackson County Courthouse
Backstory and Context
Jackson County's first courthouse was a modest structure with a wooden frame and a small jail attached to the side of the building. In 1817, a larger, two-story brick courthouse with a separate jailhouse replaced the original courthouse. In 1879, this third courthouse was built. The courthouse's clock tower was added in 1906, and interior renovations were completed in 1978. This courthouse was the oldest continuously operating courthouse in the United States until 2004, when the new and current courthouse was constructed north of Jefferson.
(2) "Jackson County Courthouse." National Park Service: Thematic National Register Nomination - Georgia Courthouses Architectural Survey. February 29, 1980. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/090d34ba-a146-4cd3-b0c1-0072ad2940a4.