At the turn of the century, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway was looking for a new route over the mountains of New Mexico. It built a bypass from Belen to Texico, and used existing lines to rejoin its mainline in Kansas. The AT&SF built the Depot in 1907 and also established the township of Clovis. The Depot served as the division point offices, the passenger station and as a boarding facility for train crews between work assignments. As rail traffic increased, the Harvey House and administration buildings were built to compliment the major yard and engine service facilities. The Clovis Subdivision was the last on the Santa Fe to use steam, and the selection of the 50's period for restoration highlights the transition from steam to diesel on the Santa Fe.