The Ghost Building
This building is named after real estate investor A. M. Ghost. He made his fortune by selling plots of land in the rapidly-developing Highlands neighborhood during the late 1800s. That neighborhood is known today as The Ghost Historic District. The original Ghost building was located at 15th and Glenarm Street. It was built by William Lang, a well-known architect who designed the Molly Brown House. The building was at that location from 1889 to 1979. The Public Service Company acquired the building, under the contracted terms to demolish. However an architect devised a plan to save the exterior and relocate the building.
Backstory and Context
The Ghost Building was named after Allen M Ghost. He was a well-known real estate developer in Denver during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1887, Ghost purchased land in the Highlands and divided the land in plots to sell. A streetcar line was in the works for that area, so the plots sold fast. This area is now known as the Ghost Historic District in the Highlands. Ghost later went on to build this structure at 15th & Glenarm in 1889. the building was located there until 1979 when it was deconstructed brick by brick and placed into storage.
The original architect was Colorado local, William Lang. He is best-known as the architect of the Molly Brown House in Capitol Hill. The Ghost Building is Lang's only commercial building from the turn of the century that remains. However, the building is not in its original location.
The Ghost Building was located at 15th & Glenarm. The Public Service Co. of Colorado signed a 20-year lease on the property. The lease was contingent on demolition of the structure. Preservationists responded by placing the building on the National Register for Historic Places. However this did not work. Brian T Congleton proposed dismantling the façade stone by stone and reassembling at a new location.
“If they can move London Bridge to Lake Havasu," Congleton remarked, "we certainly can move the Ghost Building”
For $25,000 the Public Service Co. agreed to the plan. So brick by brick the building's facade was moved to a warehouse and stored for future use. Six years later those bricks found a new home at the building's current location on 18th St and Stout. It features the original stone lay, arched windows, and columns. Since the relocation it has been home to a energy company, diner, and yoga studio.
- Parker, Penny . "Ghost Building made its way to 18th St." The Denver Post (Denver) February 22nd 2011. https://www.denverpost.com/2011/02/21/parker-ghost-building-made-its-way-to-18th-street/
- DiPierro, Amy. Historic office building finds a new Canadian owner, Business Denver. August 10th 2017. Accessed June 19th 2020. https://businessden.com/2017/08/10/historic-office-building-finds-new-canadian-owner/.
- Character Defining Features, A.M Ghost Historic District. Invalid date. Accessed June 19th 2020. https://www.denvergov.org/content/dam/denvergov/Portals/646/documents/landmark/design_guidelines/Character_defining_features/Character_defining_features-AM_Ghost.pdf.