1827 Log Courthouse
Backstory and Context
Contractor Daniel P. Lewis completed the two-room log building by the end of the summer in 1828. Apparently, slaves helped build it as well including one named Samuel Shepard. A new courthouse was built in 1836 and the log courthouse was sold to the first of its many owners. It was moved to a new location and restored in 1916. Another historic structure, the Aiken Cabin, was relocated just behind the courthouse in the early 1930s.
"In the beginning: 1826-1850." Jackson County. Accessed December 11, 2014. https://www.jacksongov.org/588/In-The-Beginning-1826-1850.
Rosin Preservation & SWD Architects. "Conditions Assessment - 1827 Log Courthouse." 2018. https://www.ci.independence.mo.us/userdocs/comdev/historicpreservation/1827%20Log%20Courthouse%20Conditions%20Assessment.pdf.