Clio Logo

The Chewawa, the first modern hotel in Wenatchee, a two-story structure located at 130 S. Wenatchee Avenue, was built by Emil Miller in 1906. For a time it housed the Golden Rule Store, the eighth store in a chain founded by J. C. Penny. After remodeling and adding a third story the hotel was leased to E. L. Mann and named the Elman Hotel. In June of 1926 a contract was let to A. G. Black for $200,000 to extend the building fifty feet on the south side. It was renamed the Columbia Hotel. Later a fourth floor was added and the building served in this capacity unit 1978 when it was closed. In February of 1981 the hotel was leased to Walden & Associates, and renamed the Columbian. Later the associates remodeled the building into one and two room apartments to provide housing for senior citizens. In October of 1988 the building caught fire and was completely destroyed. The City of Wenatchee purchased the property and created Centennial Park. The park contains a small bandstand and hosts summer concerts in the park. There are a number of sculptural attractions in the park including an Art on the Avenues sculpture as well as a historic clock.


  • Illustration by artist Betty Bell of the Original Elman Hotel.
  • A postcard showing the Columbia Hotel at 130 South Wenatchee Avenue
  • A Columbia Hotel Brochure from the early 1950s.

Polk Directories. Wenatchee, WA. 1907-2006.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center Collection # 89-36-8

Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center Collection # 008-14-8

Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center Collection # 014-33-1