Clio Logo
This is a contributing entry for The Frisco Historic Park & Museum and only appears as part of that tour.Learn More.

To deal with those visiting the saloons too frequently, Frisco needed a calaboose or jail. In 1881, the town board appointed a committee to locate a site, pay for, and build the “lockup”. Approved supplies included a heating stove, three mattresses, four blankets, two comforters, lamps, and locks. A badge for the marshal was ordered in 1883. Many a rowdy miner spent a night or two in the Old Frisco Jail. Most were arrested for claim-jumping, fighting, or cheating. The Jail originally had four cells. When it was moved to its current location, one cell was left to demonstrate what it would have been like to be a prisoner in Frisco: cold and cramped!


  • The Jail at its original location c. 1983.
  • A rocker used by placer miners to sift through sediment and hopefully find small grains of gold.
  • Frisco's original paddy wagon. Law breakers were locked onto the metal frame of this contraption and wheeled to the jail.
  • Jail c. 2020

Every Frontier town needed to maintain at least a semblance of order. Rough and tumble miners subsisted off small quantities of gold or other precious materials. The conditions of hard work and tough living were often treated with liberal amounts of alcohol from the local saloon. Early mining camps were places of distrust and were often overtaken by bouts of violence. Some camps and small towns relied almost entirely on vigilante action and condoned lynching and mob violence as part of frontier justice.

Frisco acted quickly to implement a more traditional justice system operating from the rule of law and administered by a local judge. In 1881, the town board initiated the construction of a calaboose or jail to complement its existing saloons. Since only 250 residents occupied the town in 1882, four jails cells seemed sufficient to punish criminals or inter the routinely drunk. The jail was built by J. Scott and William Myers, who used square nail construction and recycled wagon wheels to hand forge door and window hardware. During its 20-year tenure, this diminutive penitentiary hosted a long list of lawbreakers from thieves to murder suspects. The last inmate spent a night sleeping off drunkenness in 1902.

After being relocated to the Frisco Historic Park & Museum in 1983, the jail presents a rustic backdrop for many mining implements and tools such as gold pans, jacking drills, and rocker boxes. Also inside are a collection of rocks and minerals representative of various mining districts spread across the Colorado mineral belt. A facsimile assay shop reveals how ore was appraised and how precious minerals were extracted from these ores. 

Sandra F. Mather. Behind the Swinging Door: The Saloons of Breckenridge and Summit County, Colorado 1859-1900. Breckenridge, CO: Town of Breckenridge, 2003.

Daniel Kaneb. “Lynching in Colorado.” In Colorado Encyclopedia. Colorado Humanities, November 19, 2020. https://coloradoencyclopedia.org/article/lynching-colorado.

Daniel E. Russel. “Gold Rockers.” Database. Mindat.org, December 11, 2008. https://www.mindat.org/article.php/491/Gold+Rockers.

Patrick N. Allit. “Vigilante Justice in the American Wild West.” The Great Courses Daily, December 1, 2020. https://www.thegreatcoursesdaily.com/vigilante-justice-wild-west/.