Albert May House
The Albert May House was built in 1898. Its namesake, Albert May, was Stevensville's first mayor.
Backstory and Context
Albert May and his four brothers arrived in the Bitterroot Valley in 1892 from Ontario, Canada. They settled in what would become Stevensville just a few years after a spur of the Bitterroot Valley Railroad reached the community. The brothers became successful businessmen and farmers. May bought the property on which the house stands in 1898 and it is possible that he built the house around a log cabin that was already there. By then he was married to his wife, Phoebe, with whom he had a daughter, Alberta; they also adopted a son. Unfortunately, the son died at a young age and his wife Pheobe passed away in 1905. May married again and adopted another son. In his later years, May suffered from mental illness beginning in 1914 and relocated to California where he died in 1917. Alberta sold the house to the next owner, Carrie E. Prince who later deeded it to her husband Dr. Frank Prince in 1920. Prince ran his practice from the house.
Maclay, Lynda. "May, Albert, House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. June 18, 1991. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/fb1f9525-c80b-46f0-a604-6679df80263f.
The Montana National Register Sign Program. “Albert May House.” Digital Vault. Accessed June 8, 2020. http://digitalvault.mhs.mt.gov/items/show/19914.
Wikimedia Commons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_May_House#/media/File:Albert_May_house_Stevensville_MT_2012.jpg