Backstory and Context
The Hamlin School building was built in 1929 to replace a frame building that served the Avon Township School District #4 near the same location. In September 1928, property was acquired for the school from John and Harriet Dixon, and the new building was opened to students in 1929. The 1929 Hamlin building was originally a two-classroom school, but was expanded several times over the succeeding decades.
Avon District #4, Hamlin, was was consolidated with the Rochester School District in 1949. The school was closed due to declining enrollment at the end of the 1982-83 school year, but was re-opened in 1986. In 1993, the students were moved to another facility to allow a complete renovation of the Hamlin building. The school is named for the family of John Fairchild Hamlin, a pioneer settler of the area; the school stands on land that was formerly part of the Hamlin farm.
Mallon, Max. One Hundred Years of Rochester Schools, 1865-1965. Rochester, Mich.: Rochester Board of Education, 1972, p.80.
"New Wing Revives Hamlin School," Rochester Clarion, February 2, 1956, p.5.
"Budget Shakedown: School Taxes, Closings Command the Spotlight; Parents Challenge Phaseout of Hamlin," Rochester Eccentric, January 27, 1983, p.1.