Avon School, east elevation, 2020
Avon School, main entrance in east elevation, 2020
Avon School, east elevation, 1928
Backstory and Context
This building was erected in 1928 to serve the students of Avon Township School District #2, known as the Avon District (also sometimes known as the Wilcox District). The property for this school building was purchased by the Avon District #2 in 1925 from Theodore and Myrtle Wing for $599.00. A two-story, four-room building was erected at a cost of $32,000 and was opened to
students in October of 1928. The Rochester Clarion issue of April 20, 1928, carried the following advertisement:
Bids wanted by the Board of Education, School District No. 2 Fractional, Avon and Shelby Townships, Oakland and Macomb Counties, Michigan, for the construction of an elementary school building to be located on the west side of John R Road, one and one-half miles north of Auburn Road. Bids close at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, April 25th. For complete instructions to bidders communicate with Verner, Wilhelm & Molby, Architects and engineers, 824 Book Bldg., Detroit, Michigan.
Mrs. Ada Toussaint, Moderator
R. F. D. No. 3
The architects, Verner, Wilhelm & Molby of Detroit, were also the designers of the Redford Theatre.
In 1949, Avon District #2 was consolidated with the Rochester district. The former Avon School is now the home of Rochester Community Schools' Dr. John M. Schultz Educational Campus, and hosts the districts ACE (Alternative Education Center) High School program. While the current Rochester High School campus was under construction at the corner of Walton & Livernois roads in 1956, Avon School was used as a temporary overflow for Rochester's junior high grades.
Mallon, Max. One Hundred Years of Rochester Schools, 1865-1965. Rochester, Mich.: Rochester Board of Education, 1972, p.74, 79.
"$32,000 School is Nearing Completion," Rochester Clarion, August 3, 1928, p.1.
"$32,000 School About Complete," Rochester Era, August 3, 1928, p.5.
"Country School Fills Gap a Junior High," Rochester Clarion, January 26, 1956, p.1.
"Bids wanted," Rochester Clarion, April 20, 1928, p.1.
Almond, Mary Beth. "RCS Names Building After Retired Superintendent," Rochester Post, July 24, 2018.