The Forge was constructed in 1934 by the Subsistence Homestead Division under the guidance of the New Deal administration and its efforts to create the planned town of Arthurdale. The building was constructed to be a working blacksmith shop in which Arthurdale homesteaders would work and bring tools to be fixed, helping to create a self-sustaining community.
Backstory and Context
Blacksmiths Lon Fullmer and Forest Cress were at the heart of the operations in the new Forge in the mid-1930s. Lon was trained before arriving in Arthurdale