Hamilton City Hall
Backstory and Context
Construction of the building started in the fall of 1906 was completed in September 1907. It was originally called Hamilton Town Hall because the community was not yet large enough to be designated as a city. The building became Hamilton City Hall in 1910 when the population increased to over 2,000. As noted above, initially it housed city offices, the fire department, and the public library. Having multiple city services in one building was common for small tows at the time. However, not surprisingly library patrons often complained about the smell of horses. Eventually the library moved into a new building in 1914. The adjoining Masonic temple was built in 1915. City Hall was remodeled in 1940, which included adding the truck bay on the south side. The city finally moved out in 1990.
"City Hall." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed June 3, 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=123555.
Taylor, Thelma & DeHaas, John N. "Hamilton Town Hall." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. April 21, 1980. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/3259f494-a235-49d4-9fd8-cd3b3a8f701e.
John Roanhaus, via Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hamilton_Town_Hall_NRHP_80002431_Ravalli_County,_MT.jpg