Clio Logo

The Administration building was constructed in 1934 to house the New Deal federal agencies which managed the newly formed Arthurdale experimental community. First was the Subsistence Homestead Division, created in August of 1933, and it ran Arthurdale until its end in 1935. Then the newly formed Resettlement Administration took over until 1937, ending just after the last houses were built. The last supervisory agency was the Farm Security Administration which was in charge until the homes and other buildings were sold into private hands in the mid-1940s.


The Administration building in the early 1940s

The Administration building in the early 1940s

"Jo" outside of Admin in 1944

"Jo" outside of Admin in 1944

"Admin" Today

"Admin" Today

Mildred Robey at work in Admin in the late 1930s

Mildred Robey at work in Admin in the late 1930s

The construction of the Administration Building in 1934

The construction of the Administration Building in 1934

Builders setting the foundation of Admin - note Arthur Mansion behind it

Builders setting the foundation of Admin - note Arthur Mansion behind it

Administration Building (right) where Route 92 and A Road intersect

Administration Building (right) where Route 92 and A Road intersect

Admin interior today

Admin interior today

Admin During Restoration in the late 1980s

Admin During Restoration in the late 1980s

Jeanne Goodman - Historian

Image Sources(Click to expand)

West Virginia and Regional History Center

AHI

West Virginia and Regional History Center

West Virginia and Regional History Center

West Virginia and Regional History Center

Arthurdale Heritage, Inc.

Arthurdale Heritage, Inc.