Clio Logo

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church was founded in 1842 to served the Episcopalians in Mile Square, now called Armonk. By September 1843 the congregation had finished construction of a Greek Revival church on a parcel of land that had been donated by a local farmer. Some changes have been made to the church, including an 1889 addition that was constructed in the Gothic style as well as a parish hall that was built in the 1940s and a parish house completed in the 1960s. Adjoining the church is a burial ground where a number of the congregation has been laid to rest.


  • St. Stephen's Episcopal Church.
  • St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in 1848.
  • St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in 1903.

Now called Armonk, the community in the center of the Town of North Castle was formerly known as Mile Square. In the early 1840s the Episcopalians of Mile Square desired to establish their own church, as they had to travel to Bedford or White Plains to attend services. The Reverend Robert William Harris of Grace Church in White Plains began leading services in Mile Square in 1841, and on October 10, 1842, St. Stephen's Church was formally organized with the Reverend Harris as rector. The new congregation gratefully accepted the donation of a 1/4-acre parcel from farmer Elisha Sutton, on which it built a church that was completed and consecrated by September 1843.

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church was constructed in the Greek Revival style. It was built by Ziel Eggleston, a vestryman of the church, although there is no record of who designed the building. The structure's most distinguishing features are massive Doric columns at its entrance, as well as its two-stage tower. Several additions have been made to the church. In 1889 an addition, constructed in the Gothic style, was completed. A parish hall was built in the 1940s, followed by the construction of a parish house in the 1960s.

In February 1850 St. Stephen's Episcopal Church acquired a 13-acre parcel from the estate of Elisha Sutton. The church subdivided this estate into 40 lots, and after reserving one lot for a parsonage and one lot for a burial ground, the remaining lots were sold, which greatly helped the church's financial situation. The church used the name Armonk in conjunction with the sale of the property, and this name ended up replacing the name Mile Sqaure. The parsonage building, which no longer serves this function, still stands at 40 Bedford Road. The burial ground contains about 450 interments, most of which were made in the 19th century.

The congregation struggled during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. After New York City announced its intentions to acquire land along Wampus Brook for watershed purposes, a number of residents moved out of Armonk, and St. Stephen's, which was also slated for acquisition, was closed for four years in the 1890s. Although New York City did not acquire St. Stephen's, it struggles continued even after it reopened, and between the two world wars it was a "missionary parish" of St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Mount Kisco. The church became an independent parish again in 1944, a status that it still holds today. St. Stephen's Episcopal Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Bedford Road Historic District in 1985.

Larson, Neil. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form: Bedford Road Historic District. October 1985.

A Short History, St. Stephen's Episcopal Church. Accessed June 3rd 2020. https://www.ststephensarmonk.org/about-us.

Williams, Gray. Picturing Our Past: National Register Sites in Westchester County. Elmsford, N.Y.. Westchester County Historical Society, 2003.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Westchester County Historical Society. Photo by Gray Williams.

Westchester County Historical Society.

Westchester County Historical Society.