Moxam and Congress Apartments
User Uploaded Audio
These are the Moxam and Congress apartments. They were built in 1912 during Calgary's massive population boom just before World War One. The land was originally owned by Senator James Lougheed and sold to Winnipeg developer John Moxam. Part of his vision for this street featured multi-unit dwellings for wealthy tenants. When the two buildings went up they were originally called Moxam and Holton House. Sidney Holton was a local real-estate agent who first owned the building. There were just 12 suites in it and when it was subdivided in 1938, Holton became Congress. Today, there are 20 suites. Moxam even though it is practically identical to congress was never subdivided and remains mostly original. In the 1930s, Edgar Lougheed and his family lived in Moxam. Edgar was one of James and Isabella Lougheed's six children and his son Peter Lougheed was Alberta's 10th Premier. Another notable tenant was Charles Comba, the general foreman of Calgary's streetcar system. Moxam and Congress are nee-Georgian structures each originally had large balconies supported by two ionic columns, they are dignified in their design and both retain many fine interior details. Today they are popular residences with Calgary artists.
Judith Umbach, ju_20060101025701, Calgary Public Library