John Freeman Walls Historic Site and Underground Railroad Museum
The John Freeman Walls Historic Site is family owned and operated. Meet descendants of the Underground Railroad, as tour guides take you on an interactive trip back in time. The focal point of the visit is a log cabin built in 1846 by escaped slave John Freeman Walls and his wife Jane King Walls, who rest in the family cemetery on the property. School/Bus tours welcome. Call in advance. Admission Charged.
Backstory and Context
In 1846 John Freeman Walls a fugitive slave from North Carolina built this log cabin on land purchased from the Refugee Home Society. This organization was founded by the abolitionist Henry Bibb, publisher of the Voice of The Fugitive, and the famous Josiah Henson. The cabin subsequently served as a terminal of the Underground Railroad and the first meeting place of the Puce Baptist Church. Although many former slaves returned to the United States following the American Civil War, Walls and his family chose to remain in Canada. The story of their struggles, forms the basis of the book The Road That Led to Somewhere by Dr. Bryan Walls
This site is sponsored by Proverbs Heritage Organization (a Federally registered charitable not for profit organization) and was developed to express the theme of: EQUAL SISTERHOOD AND BROTHERHOOD OF HUMANKIND world wide.