Abel Bennett Tract - The Horton House
The Horton House, 72 Riverside Drive
Abel Bennett Tract Historic District
Backstory and Context
This house is located within the Abel Bennett Tract Historic District.
Abel Bennett was the first mayor of the City of Binghamton in 1867. The historic tract bearing his name was opened in 1887 and is built on 53 acres of farmland originally owned by Abel Bennett on Binghamton's West Side.
The tract was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
Description: Known as the "Mrs. A.M. Horton House," this is a single-family 2 ½ story frame dwelling of Queen Anne Free Classic style. T-shaped in plan with front gable with secondary front and side-gabled bays. The entry porch has square Tuscan pillars. A triple level porch is located at the east end of the house at the T-juncture. A deep shed roof porch is topped by a second story balcony that is topped by a hipped roof attic porch that looks like an open dormer.