Northwest Montana History Museum
The historic Central School was built in 1894 and is now the location of the Northwest Montana History Museum.
Backstory and Context
Architect William White designed Central School in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It features arched entryways and windows, a round two-story tower, a square three-story tower, and decorative brick and floral work. It is also notable for being one of the first brick and stone structures in Kalispell. The school offered classes to all grade levels and operated until 1969. It then operated as Flathead Community College until 1990. It appears it was vacant until the museum opened in 1999. In addition to its exhibits, the museum also offers educational programs for children and adults, and a historic film club and history book club.
McKay, Kathy. "East Side Historic District." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. August 24, 1994. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/327a1cd2-8c29-4b4d-aef9-85fda060a8a9.
"Northwest Montana History Museum." Montana Office of Tourism. Accessed May 19, 2020. https://www.visitmt.com/listings/general/museum/northwest-montana-history-museum.html.
Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Central_School_Museum_Kalispell.jpg