Bailey Farm once served as the headquarters for Ulysses S. Grant and William T. Sherman during the American Civil War. It was here that the Battle of Jackson was fought and Union General Ulysses S. Grant defeated Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston. This opened the door for the Siege of Vicksburg in 1863.
Located in Vicksburg, Mississippi, the Bailey Farm contains Dillon's Plantation. Dillon's Plantation was the headquarters for Union Generals Ulysses S. Grant and William T. Sherman during the Battles of Raymond, Jackson and the Siege of Vicksburg.
During the Vicksburg Campaign in 1862-1863, battles were fought with the goal in mind to gain control of the Mississippi River. Vicksburg, Mississippi was the last Confederate controlled section of the river. General Grant's first plan was to overtake Vicksburg by sending General William T. Sherman, along with half the Army, in an attempt to reach Vicksburg from the northeast while he took the remainder of the Army down the Mississippi Central Railroad. This plan failed.
Over the course of the next several days, Grant tried a number of experiments before finally capturing the city of Jackson in May, 1863. This led to the defeat of the Confederate Army and opened the door for the Siege of Vicksburg a few days later. The move toward Jackson was a surprise to the Confederate Army and was the second major blow to the Confederacy during the summer of 1863.