Evergreen Cemetery was established in 1910 or 1911 and is one of the oldest cemeteries in the county.
Backstory and Context
Among the prominent early families interned here are landowners such as the Cromarties, Stranahans, Kings, and the Bryans. When the cemetery was established, a funeral director exhumed the remains of other individuals and moved them here. After the city acquired the cemetery in 1917, it bought additional plots of land in the coming years; the size of the cemetery is now 11 acres. Over years, various organizations bought lots for burials including American legion, the Benevolent Order of Elks, and the B'Nai Israel synagogue. The cemetery overlooks Cliff Lake.
"Evergreen Cemetery." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed May 8, 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=72809.
"Municipal Cemeteries." City of Fort Lauderdale. Accessed May 8. https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/departments/parks-recreation/cemeteries.
The Historical Marker Database