Casa De Oracion
Church services for The Episcopal Church of Green River were held in the courthouse in 1883. The St. John's Episcopal Church opened in 1892. It was the 3rd church to be built in Green River and the oldest local church still standing. The Episcopalians left the building in 1970. Beginning in 1976 the building was used a Senior Citizen’s Center until 1979 when it was purchased by the Casa de Oracion congregation.
Backstory and Context
The St. John’s Episcopal Church was the third church building to be built in the town of Green River. It is the oldest one still standing.
The Episcopal Church of Green River first held its services in the courtroom of the courthouse in December 1883. The St. John’s Episcopal Church opened its doors in 1892.
The church is a wooden-frame building with a gable roof with bargeboards having exposed overhand eaves. There are elaborate wooden shingle designs on the steeple, with brackets on the upper ledge or cornice of the bell tower and pedestal for the steeple. The gothic windows and back door to the study have curved, triangular, stained-glass window circles with three wooden dividers holding and separating the four pieces of glass. There is a cross-shaped finial on the spire and a circular finial on the gable.
The study is a wooden frame attached to the northeast portion of the church with a gable roof and exposed overhead eaves. There is a single interior chimney.
The Episcopalians left the building in 1970. Beginning in 1976 the building was used a Senior Citizen’s Center until 1979 when it was purchased by the Casa de Oracion congregation.
Guide to Historic Green River. Green River, Wy. Green River Historic Preservation Comission.
Sweetwater County Historical Museum