The Jefferson House "Playa Vallarta Mexican Grill"
This was the site of Jefferson’s first frame building erected in 1837 by Enoch Darling. Used as a hotel, saloon, store, and court house, the building burned in 1844 and was rebuilt. It again burned to the ground in 1860 and was rebuilt.
Backstory and Context
The Jefferson House was rebuilt a third time in 1867 by William Zohrlaut. The second floor was sleeping room and the third floor a dance hall. Zohrlaut built the annex to the north in the early 1870's for a dining and billiard room. The north building later contained many different stores, restaurants and barber shops over the decades. In 1874, William Stamm bought the J House and Edward Mueller purchased the complex in 1887 creating a first-class hotel. His son Phillip Mueller took over the hotel in 1933; and Earl Eiffler bought the hotel/restaurant in 1958.