1903 Pablo Beach Post Office
Backstory and Context
In 1884 entrepreneur John Christopher began developing what is now Jacksonville Beach. His plan was to build a railroad connecting Jacksonville to the undeveloped beach front, as well as building a luxury hotel. Since the beach had no buildings yet, tents were used for housing and administrative purposes, including the post office. Eleanor Kennedy Scull served as the first postmaster, running it out a tent primarily used as a general store.
By 1886 the Jacksonville and Atlantic rail line was completed connecting South Jacksonville to Ruby Beach (later to be renamed Pablo Beach). Christopher also built the luxurious Murray Hall Hotel at the oceanfront and the post office moved into the newly constructed hotel. In 1890 the Murray Hall Hotel burned down and postal service was carried out in other local businesses, including the Dickerson’s General Store. Celenia Columbia Dickerson was postmaster from 1896 – 1909.
In 1902, Dickerson paid for the construction of the first stand-alone post office building in Pablo Beach. She remained postmaster through the entirety of the building’s service, from 1903-1908. After Dickerson’s retirement, postal services were relocated to yet another store. The building was re-purposed for private use. By 1917 it was moved to Second Street South and used as a home addition.
This building was relocated for the final time here, to the Pablo Historical Park, in 1986 by Scott Chandler as his Eagle Scout Service Project.
Beaches Museum Extended Docent Guide. Accessed May 8th 2020. https://www.beachesmuseum.org.
Mabry, Donald J.. Ruby of Ruby Beach, Florida. Accessed May 8th 2020. http://djmabry.org/beaches/Ruby.pdf.
Shepherd, Rose. Ruby Beach (Pablo - Jacksonville Beach), Library of Congress. April 11th 1939. Accessed May 8th 2020. https://www.loc.gov/item/wpalh000468/.