Southold Town Milestone #16
User Uploaded Audio
Backstory and Context
User Uploaded Audio
Southold Town has across the length of the town a series of granite milestones. In 1829, New York State mandated that, “It shall be the duty of the commissioners of highways of each town, to cause mile-boards or stones, to be erected, where not already erected, on the post-roads, and such other public roads in their town, so they may think proper, at the distance of one mile from each other, with such fair and legible inscriptions as they may think proper.” (New York State. The Revised Statutes of the State of New York. Albany, New York: Packard and van Benthuysen, 1829. 503)
Since Southold only had one road that ran from west to east, the stones were installed along the length of the town on what was then the King’s Highway. The miles on the stone indicated the distance between the stone and the county offices in what was then Suffolk Courthouse (Suffolk CH), now known as Riverhead.
All of the stones were originally set up on the south side or east bound side of the road. Today the majority of the stones remain where they were originally set. While the stones are interesting in themselves – after saying that the stones are made from granite and weigh about 450 pounds each – there is not a lot to say about them.
Some of the stones sit in places that are dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclists. Please be aware of traffic! Also most of the stones are on the edge of private property, please be respectful.
Milestones of Southold Town. Kasuga Folk, Amy . 2015. Lecture.
Studenroth, Zachary N . Southold's Historic Milestones: the Legacy of a Bygone Era. Cutchogue, New York. Cutchogue New Suffolk Historical Council, 2017.
New York State. The Revised Statutes of the State of New York. Albany, New York. Packard and van Benthuysen, 1829
Tuthill, Seth H. Southold Town Records Liber E. Southold, New York : unpublished, 1829.
Amy Kasuga Folk