In 1923, Corinne Melchers planted six elms at the west elevation of the house. The trees matured into a cathedral-like canopy, providing shade and a stately ambience to the house's rear approach. Unfortunately, five of the majestic elms succumbed to Dutch elm disease and the fifth fell victim to a lighting strike. Our current Elm trees are a replication of the 1923 planting and are the Valley Forge variety, which is resistant to Dutch elm disease.
Catron, Joanna D.. True & Clear: The Gift of Belmont, Accessed May 6th 2020.