Administration Building, Newark Metropolitan Airport
The Administration Building was the principal building of the Newark Metropolitan Airport. Built in 1934 (the airport opened in 1928) and dedicated by Amelia Earhart in 1935, it served as the principal passenger terminal at the airport until 1953, the building still operates as key component of Newark's Liberty International Airport. Moved to its current location in 2002, it currently houses the Port Authority Police Department. It is on the federal and state registers of historical sites.
Backstory and Context
(Adiminstration Building relocated, 2002; Brewster Hanger
demolished, c1998; Medical building extant.)
National Register Information System (NR Reference #: 80002485)
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Essex County, New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. January 8th 2009. Accessed April 27th 2020. https://www.nj.gov/dep/hpo/1identify/nrsr_lists/Essex.pdf.
New Jersey Office of Historic Preservation. National Register of Historic Places Inventory—Nomination Form, National Register of Historic Places. April 28th 1980. Accessed April 27th 2020. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail/80dfe0cd-b1fd-4dde-a5e2-2b5caa9bb7af.