H.C. Smith Store
Located along southern boundary of original (August 1888) town plat of St. Petersburg. Land once owned by “General” John Constantine Williams, Sr. Part of “Williams Grove” on original town plat. Land was subdivided and sold in parcels after Williams’s death in 1892. Former Williams House (built in 1891) later became Manhattan Hotel, a nearby source of customers for the business. The Williams House presently resides on the campus of the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. Improvements to nearby Bayboro Harbor and Salt Creek brought more settlers, as did the creation of Charles Roser’s subdivision, Roser Park.