Sequim Opera House
Built in 1907, the former Sequim Opera House is one of the oldest buildings in the city.
Backstory and Context
The Opera House was built at the same time the town's first plat was filed and six years before Sequim was officially established. It was built by one of the town's early leading businessmen, Charles Franklin Seal, who owned a successful trading company next door. When it opened on June 15, 1907, the Opera House hosted a long program that featured performances by a variety of local groups. In the coming years, it was used for a number of purposes including dances, public meetings, civic gatherings, graduations, silent film showings, and concerts. It appears that the Opera House operated until the 1930s and what happened next is unclear. Today, the auditorium is used as storage but the stage, original flooring and other features still exist.
Fish, Harriet & Garfield, L. "Sequim Opera House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. May 28, 1991. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/497572ac-594b-47fb-b8ed-5afd096f2b60.
Linderoth, Alana. "Then and Now: The Sequim Opera House." Sequim Gazette. May 13, 2015. https://www.sequimgazette.com/news/then-and-now-the-sequim-opera-house.
Publichall, via Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Opera_house_1907.jpg.