Clio Logo

Cal Rodgers and the First Transcontinental Flight On October 17, 1911, Cal Rodgers landed his Wright Flyer, the “Vin Fiz,” in John Ryan’s pasture south of downtown. Rodgers left Sheepshead Bay, New York on September 17, 1911, and eventually landed in Pasadena, California on November 5, 1911, to complete the first transcontinental flight. John Ryan’s pasture is now the Ryan Place Neighborhood. The entrance is located at 8th Avenue and Elizabeth Blvd. A local marker in Ryan Place Park at the corner of 5th Avenue and West Bowie Street commemorates the event.


  • Vin-Fiz Flyer Plaque
  • Cal Rodgers
  • Transcontinental Rout of the Vin-Fiz
  • Cal Rodgers and Wright B Flyer
  • Cal Rodgers departing Fort Worth October 19, 1911.  20,000 people  were on hand to witness his departure.
  • 1st Aero Squadron JN-3's at "Ryan's" Pasture 1915.
  • 1st Aero Squadron pilots at Ryan's Pasture, Novemeber 19, 1915.  Captain Benjamon Fouolois, (third form the left), Commanding Officer and father of the Air Force.
  • Lt Carlton G. Chapman landing the first military aircraft in  Fort Worth on November 20, 1915

The 1st Aero Squadron, US Army Signal Corps, in Fort Worth

 

On November 20, 1915, the 1st Aero Squadron landed in John Ryan’s pasture south of downtown. They were the first military aircraft to land here. The squadron left Post Field at Fort Sill, Oklahoma on October 19 on their way to a new flying field at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas and spent two days in Fort Worth. The squadron represented the entire aerial “combat” strength of the United States.

Fort Worth Aviation Museum

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Fort Worth Aviation Museum

Fort Worth Atar Telegram, University or Texas Arlington, Special Collections

Unknow

Courtesy Mike Lentes

Fort Worth Star Telegram, University of Texas Arlington, Special Collections

Fort Worth Star Telegram, University of Texas Arlington, Special Collections

Fort Worth Star Telegram, University of Texas Arlington, Special Collections

Fort Worth Star Telegram, University of Texas Arlington, Special Collections