Backstory and Context
The Blacksmith Shop was originally an outbuilding on Ivy Moore’s farm in Valley Crucis North Carolina. The building is building is believed to have been built in the early 1800s. It was donated to SAHA in the early 2000s and stood as a three walled roofless structure for several years until it was completed with a fourth wall and a roof. A period accurate bellow was added so it could be used as a blacksmith shop in 2011. The shop is fully functional and be seen in use by the Hickory Ridge Blacksmith during the Horn in the West season.
Canipe, Steve. In the Evening West, Historical Reflections of the 60-year Tradition “Horn in the West 1952-2012. Southern Appalachian Historical Association, Boone, 2012.
“The Cabins of Hickory Ridge”. Southern Appalachian Historical Association, Boone, 2020, https://www.horninthewest.com/museum-cabins.
Dawn H. Osborne , “Blacksmith Shop ,” The History of Horn in the West and Hickory Ridge Living History Museum , https://sahahistory.omeka.net/items/show/60.