1948 Memorial Field House
The Memorial Field House, a former World War II Navy drill hall, was dedicated October 30, 1948. The facility included a swimming pool in the south end, a large area for physical education activities, a basketball court, and gymnastics area, as well as a dirt floor track at the north end.
Monroe Hall 1916
Monroe Hall was the first dormitory built at the Normal school. It was dedicated February 4, 1916, and housed about 90 women. At this time, the majority of students were women, as teaching was one of the few professions open to single women. The hall was named for Mrs. Mary Monroe, who was appointed to the Normal School Board of Trustees in 1913 by Governor Ernest Lister. She served as president of the board.
The Georgian Colonial style house was completed in 1929, and Hargreaves and his wife, Edna "Rose" Morrow Hargreaves were the first to make it their home. The President's House was occupied by succeeding school Presidents until 1987. It was then used as a faculty club, as well as a special events venue for both the college and community. Weddings, receptions, and other special occasions were held in the renamed University House until 1998. In the summer of that year, President Stephen Jordan and his wife moved into the President's House, returning it to its historic use.
1940 Hargreaves Hall
In 1926, following the resignation of Noah D. Showalter, Richard T. Hargreaves was offered the job of President of the Cheney Normal School, which he accepted. During his term, the school gained the right to offer a four year bachelor of arts degree, and it became Eastern Washington College of Education. Despite the difficult years of the Depression, Hargreaves guided the institution through a period of steady growth. With the help of federal Works Progress Administration grants, he was able to manage the construction of two major buildings, Martin Hall and, his most cherished project, the new library. The double dedication ceremony on June 4, 1940, was an historic occasion for the school. Hargreaves Hall and Showalter Hall remain as fitting memorials to two men who brought the school through uncertain times and into the modern era.
After the Kennedy Library opened in 1967, Hargreaves Hall was used as classroom and office space. In 2009, a significant remodel and expansion project returned much of the original historical character to the building, while the new section at the rear of the building blended materials and design.